EDUCATION MATTERS #24
By Dr. Ben Yocom – Milan C-2 School District Superintendent
Greetings from the Milan C-2 Family! The month of September is upon us and in a few weeks, the annual fall season will begin – this is signified by the leaves changing and the temperatures dropping. Personally, this is my favorite time of the year!
Each month and/or season in a school’s calendar is busy and this month is certainly no different. On Friday, 9/9/16 – the primary grades held a “Grandparents Day”. This was a specific time for students and their respective grandparents to enjoy a short program followed by refreshments, while giving the students a special ‘memory’. We hope to continue with this day each year and possibly expand it to further students and grade levels in the future. There will also be the annual “Muffins with Moms” on Thursday, October 6th, 2016 – then “Donuts with Dads” on Thursday, November 3rd, 2016. These events will be held in the cafeteria. Please make plans to attend on the respective days/times.
The Milan C-2 Board of Education will hold a special meeting on Wednesday, September 28th, 2016 at 6:00 p.m. in the EPN room on campus. The purpose behind this meeting is to review the “Year One / Phase One” renovation progress and discuss new construction options. Ideally, the board will make a concrete decision on which direction to go as it relates to new construction. As of now, the intent is to construct a new facility by financing the project under the district’s current funding structure and not seek any assistance through a tax levy or ballot issue. The options within the new construction components are as follows:
- New Four (4) Classroom structure – the current modular building has six (6) classrooms and with the movement of the LMC, there would only be four (4) rooms needed to replace the need of the modular building. Ideally, this structure would be attached in some/way/shape or form to the current campus – therefore limiting the students traveling from class-to-class outdoors.
- New Library-Media Center – the current cafeteria/small gym would be renovated to a Library-Media Center, complete with at least one technology lab – multiple study areas and spacious enough to provide a modern facility for our students.
- Renovating Two (2) Classrooms – with the LMC moving to the current cafeteria/small gym – there could be two (2) traditional classrooms in the current LMC location.
- New Multipurpose facility – this would have a full size gymnasium. Primary use would be for physical education classes, performances and practices. The location would be to the north of the existing gym and depending on the scope, the facility would also have locker room and storage options (therefore eliminating the need for the current Fieldhouse/Storage building).
- New Commons Area/Cafeteria and Kitchen – due to renovation of the existing cafeteria, the need for a large space to congregate and provide food service is absolute. The proposed location of this facility is still yet to be determined, but could be an extension of the existing gym/concession area or near the proposed new multipurpose facility. Due to the location of the facility, a new kitchen may be a necessity and depending on the equipment needed – the cost could vary a great deal.
At the meeting on 9/28/16 – the board will establish the ‘highest priorities’ regarding the above options. Obviously, it will be somewhat difficult to accomplish ALL the above tasks during the first phase. No matter your role in this community, please feel free to contact me with questions or comments relating to the facility plan.
The district still intends to continue renovating the existing facilities each summer for the next four (4) years. Focusing merely on new construction, but ignoring the existing needs in the building would not be in the best interests of our current students. In fact, the summer of 2017 will ideally bring – replacement of remaining windows in the HS building, new HVAC system in various areas of the HS building and beginning the renovation of hallways, floors and walls in various areas throughout campus. We still have a long way to go, but we ARE making progress.
Please do not hesitate to contact me with questions or thoughts. Remember, it is a GREAT DAY to be a MILAN WILDCAT! Thanks for your support!